I take my dog running with me on the trails a lot. My reasons for taking him originally began because he is an energetic dog, and he needed the exercise and the outlet. But lately he is becoming a better trail buddy (his breed, a Belgian Malinois, did make Top Ten Dg Breeds for Trail Runners!) and I really enjoy exploring the trails with him. I’ve even learned a few things from this young pup 🙂 Here’s the best advice I’ve taken from NiKYO, my one year old Belgian Malinois:
Pace doesn’t matter. Sometimes it is really fun to run fast, but sometimes slow it down and enjoy the movement of your body. Don’t waste time checking your watch.
- If you get a chance to get outside and run, it is a GOOD DAY.
- Mileage? Just run, whatever you have time for, even 15 minutes outside running makes it a GOOD DAY.
- Stick with your running partner. If they are having a hard day, help pull them along.
- New paths are fun! You never know what you might find around the corner.
- Getting to see some wildlife on the trail is really, really, cool.
- Always bring extra poo bags. Always.
He has a quite simple philosophy about trail running. And I always know his answer if I ask him: “Do you want to go running??” 🙂