Last week I posted about how to Automate Your Fitness, which included healthy eating, and how to take the stress out of planning, shopping, and eating healthy. Here is a follow up with the Top 10 Fitness Foods that are nutritious, simple, and easy to prepare and keep on hand. All of these items can be combined in different ways to make a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner. By always having them on hand, you are automating your nutrition! Start incorporating these into your daily diet to help get your nutrition back on track and easy! Need some recipe ideas? Check out my Pinterest Page full of recipe links.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a quick and inexpensive breakfast that is full of whole grains and healthy carbohydrates. Make a bowl for breakfast to fuel you up for the day!
- Greek Yogurt: Greek Yogurt has more protein than regular, and keeps you satisfied for a long time. I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast and lunch often.
- Bananas: Not only do bananas help fuel your workout, but the potassium is great for muscle recovery too.
- Eggs: Eggs are easy to prepare, versatile, and inexpensive. Try them for dinner!
- Whey Protein: Whey protein is excellent to add to smoothies (along with fruit and greens) to pack in a lot of protein and nutrition.
- Lentils/Canned Beans: Lentils and Canned Beans are a good source of vegetarian protein and fiber, and quick to prepare.
- Avocados: Avocados have been found to satiate the appetite due to their healthy fat level. I love having them with poached eggs and toast.
- Nuts: Nuts and nut butters can be a quick snack, or a great addition to a meal (try on oatmeal!). I also love the nut and fruit bars such as Larabars and Hammer Bars.
- Whole Grain Bread: My favorite whole grain bread is Ezekiel bread. Perfect with peanut butter!
- Green Vegetables: Try several greens! Put some kale or spinach in a smoothie, steam some broccoli for a side, toss some greens into a salad. Lots of options!
What are your go-to foods that help keep you on track? By getting into good habits, you will find your nutrition so much easier to stick with.