High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT, is a great way to structure your exercise. If you want to maximize your time and calorie burning, then you need to be incorporating HIIT training into your fitness routine. Here are 5 reasons to try High Intensity Interval Training:
1. Efficiency. HIIT training will burn more calories in less time. The workouts are fast (30 minutes or less), but you are working at an intense pace. You will still torch the same calories, or more, as steady state cardio for an hour.
2. Mega Fat Burner. Aside from the calories burned during the HIIT session, because of the intense muscle repair, your body will burn calories at a higher rate for up to 24 hours. You will also boost your levels of HGH (Human Growth Hormone) which is responsible for your metabolism rate.
3. Improve Cardio. Are you a runner who enjoys long distance runs? HIIT runs will help improve your aerobic function as well. You may not always have time for a long run, but a short 20-30 minute Interval run will help improve your running.
4. No Gym Required. Traveling? Can’t make it to the gym? HIIT can come in many forms, many you do not need a gym for. Try a circuit of squats, push-ups, lunges, dips, and sit ups. Or take it outdoors and perform and interval run (one will be described below).
5. Rewarding. HIIT training is very challenging in a very short period of time. But it also is rewarding to make it through a HIIT session and know you gave it your all! If you feel you don’t have time to train, sticking to your plan with short HIIT sessions is a great motivator.
You can perform HIIT training as a cardio routine, or even a strength routine, done circuit style. For a sample cardio HIIT, try an outdoor run: Warm up for 5 minutes with a walk or easy jog. Run hard for 3 minutes, then recover for 1 minute with a walk or jog. Repeat for a total of 5 times, then cool down. HIIT sessions are a way to keep to your fitness plan despite a busy schedule!